Change of Status

Practice Areas

Citizenship and NaturalizationCitizenship and Naturalization
Residence or Green CardResidence or Green Card
Family-Based PetitionFamily-Based Petition
Employment-Based PetitionsEmployment-Based Petitions
Labor certification an national interest waiverLabor certification and national interest waiver
Cuban Adjustment LawCuban Adjustment Law
Temporary Protected Status (TPS)Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
Adjustment of StatusAdjustment of Status
Work permitWork permit
Nonimmigrant VisasNonimmigrant Visas
Business visas (E1- E2 – L1) and derivativesBusiness visas (E1- E2 – L1)
Student visasStudent visas
Change of StatusChange of Status

Unlike adjustment of status, change of status is used when someone who already has a nonimmigrant visa wants to change to another type of visa within the same nonimmigrant category.

For example, if a person enters the United States with the objective of tourism with a B2 visa but during their stay, decides to study a university degree or some recognized course within the stipulated ones, a change of status could be granted that the stay is continue until you finish your studies. None of the visas offer the possibility of obtaining permanent residence, which is why they are included in non-immigrant visas.