Adjustment of Status

Practice Areas

Citizenship and NaturalizationCitizenship and Naturalization
Residence or Green CardResidence or Green Card
Family-Based PetitionFamily-Based Petition
Employment-Based PetitionsEmployment-Based Petitions
Labor certification an national interest waiverLabor certification and national interest waiver
Cuban Adjustment LawCuban Adjustment Law
Temporary Protected Status (TPS)Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
Adjustment of StatusAdjustment of Status
Work permitWork permit
Nonimmigrant VisasNonimmigrant Visas
Business visas (E1- E2 – L1) and derivativesBusiness visas (E1- E2 – L1)
Student visasStudent visas
Change of StatusChange of Status

When someone who is within the United States wants to become a permanent resident, they must carry out what is called an adjustment of status. The advantage of this procedure is that if you are eligible and approved, you do not need to leave the country to make the adjustment.

Through this procedure carried out at USCIS, if the applicant is eligible to carry it out, they will receive permanent residence or Green Card.

There are requirements that must be met to be eligible for adjustment of status, some of which are:

Enjoy good behavior and not have a serious criminal record (in some cases a judicial pardon can be requested).
Not have causes of drug abuse or drug trafficking.
The person attempting to adjust her status must have entered the United States legally or have a pardon from a judge.
A medical examination must be carried out before entities authorized by the immigration authorities.
There must be a sponsor who financially insures the person requesting the adjustment to prevent that person from generating a public charge.
You must have legal status at the time of the adjustment and maintain it throughout the process (exceptions apply).